Fijian Coconut Fish with tomato, spinach and rice.
Always use boneless thigh fillets for making stir fries as the meat is much more tender and juicy while the breast meat often tends to go dry. And of course the wok, never undermine the importance of this cooking vessel in getting that perfect stir fry. A good quality wok is a must have in your kitchen!
1. 500gms boneless chicken thigh fillet; cut into bite sized pieces lightly coated in corn flour
2. 3 Thai red chillies; chopped
3. 1 cup sprigs fresh coriander leaves (with roots); chopped
4. 4 garlic cloves
5. 2 large green chillies
6. 2-3 tbsp fish sauce
7. 2-3 tbsp oyster sauce or hoisin sauce
8. 4-5 tbsp vegetable oil
9. 4 cups of veggies (eg. Julliane carrots, diced cauliflower, diced mushrooms)
10. Salt; to season
sprigs fresh coriander leaves; chopped
spring onion (leafy part); sliced
4 tablspns of peanuts
Using a mortar and pestle, pound the red chillies, garlic and coriander leaves into a coarse paste; keep aside.
Heat 3-4 tbsp oil in the wok and add the chicken pieces. Stir fry the chicken pieces on high heat till 3/4ths done and remove.
In the same wok (add a bit more oil if necessary), add the pound chilli mixture and sauté on low heat for about a minute. Add the oyster sauce, fish sauce and whole green chillies; also return the chicken pieces to the wok.
Stir fry on medium heat till done; add salt only if necessary.
Garnish with coriander leaves, spring onions and peanuts. Serve hot.